This Thing Called Grace


The word “grace” has always been a word with an elusive meaning, especially in religious circles. It’s become a word that’s been religionized and comes preloaded with a lot of doctrine. But the other day I stumbled upon a discovery that brought new meaning to the word. I was studying about the “favor” of the Lord and how to get more of it. I learned that the Greek word for favor is “charis”. Then I learned the Greek word for grace, which is also “charis”. So it appears that, in the New Testament at least, grace and favor our one in the same word. I thought that was helpful and can draw more meaning from grace when I replace it with the word favor, especially in light of the ancient tradition of gaining favor in the middle east with kings and such.

Can one grow in grace/favor? Or is it a one time blessing that we automatically get when we accept Christ? Keep in mind the following verses:

Luke 2:52, "Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favor (charis) with God and men."

(2Peter 3:18), “But grow in grace (charis), and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen.”

0 comments: